Fried Apple Pies
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup cold water
For the filling:
- 3 medium-sized apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter, and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly pour in the cold water, a little at a time, and mix until the dough comes together in a ball. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour, and stir until the apples are coated in the mixture. Cook the apples for 5-7 minutes, or until they are tender and the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Use a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass to cut out circles of dough.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the apple filling onto one half of each dough circle. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, and use a fork to press the edges of the dough together to seal the pie.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until it reaches 375°F (190°C).
- Fry the pies in batches, for 3-4 minutes per side or until they are golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove the pies from the oil and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the fried apple pies while they are still warm.
- Serve the fried apple pies warm or at room temperature, and enjoy!
These fried apple pies are a delicious dessert or snack that will satisfy any sweet tooth.