Venison Lomo Saltado (stir fry)
Lomo saltado is a popular Peruvian dish that combines marinated strips of beef with sautéed onions, tomatoes, and french fries. The dish is typically served over rice and is a flavorful and satisfying meal. Here’s a recipe that you can try at home:
- 1 lb venison or beef tenderloin, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into french fry shape
- Rice, for serving
- In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, red wine vinegar, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Add the venison or beef strips and toss to coat. Let the beef marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the marinated venison or beef strips and cook for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Remove the beef from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the sliced onions and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, until the tomatoes start to soften.
- Add the french fries to the skillet and stir everything together. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until the french fries are crispy.
- Return the beef to the skillet and stir everything together. Cook for another minute or two, until everything is heated through.
- Serve the lomo saltado over rice and enjoy!
This recipe serves 4-6 people, depending on portion size. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your liking and add more or less vegetables as desired. Lomo saltado is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your tastes. Give it a try and enjoy the flavors of Peru in your own home.
I hope you find this recipe helpful!